Climb Your Everest - "No Off Days": Inspire Yourself to be Great with Dr. Jon!
My Blog

Post #27: Summit Time! Prelude to a Championship

Post 27: Prelude to a Championship.

Update the Morning of May 15.  After hearing about the weather, the conditions on the mountain, consulting and listening to what other teams here are planning and considering the weather window for summiting, May 20 is our Target Date.  The 18 (Friday) Winds are forecast to drop below 15mph above 8000m/26000’.

A small team of Sherpas and about 50 people from various teams will be climbing on that day as the final ropes are fixed above the South Summit to the Top of the World.  I’ve also learned that about 200 climbers including sherpas and support from teams like Peak Freaks, IMG, RMI, AAI, Asian Trekking, Adventure Consultants, Indian Army, and More are planning on Making May 19 Their Summit day…..winds are forecast to stay low for that entire day.  But talk about a Parade…….not gonna take part in that one.  To avoid a traffic jam and basically a parade up to the Summit, we are opting to leave the 16 from EBC, and be in position to take advantage of light winds which are forecast to continue  calm from the 19 but will increase by the afternoon of the 20.  Crowds will be less on the 20.  As long as I can be up and off the summit and back to the south Col before noon on the 20, I will be safe from the high winds.  Lets hope this forecast stays good and winds don’t increase too early.  Tomer, throw us a bone here my friend! I’d rather have a little bit more wind and 50 people (which I will leave early to get in front of them) rather than 200 people and no wind. Talk about a party to the Summit. It is about to get interesting, lets hope everything stays on the safe side.

The anticipation is becoming similar to getting ready for a Championship game, you’ve done all your homework, all your preparation.  You’ve practiced for days and months and maybe even years.  I’ve been climbing mountains since I was a kid, and I’ve become only as good as the mountains have let me become.  Its time for the mountain to decide, but I’m gonna give it my all.  I’ve played the route from Camp 2 (6400m) on the 18, to Camp 3, then Camp 3 7300m on the 19 to the South Col at 8000m a thousand times.  I’ve read all the books.  Every Mountain I’ve ever climbed whether it was the 400 ascents of the 14ers in Colorado, peaks during the bivys project last year, or when I’ve Climbed Mckinley, the Mexican Volcanoes, or Peak Lenin, Or Mount Rainier, I’ve always played “Everest” In my Head, I’ve always rehearsed what I’d do on each day.  Then comes Summit Day.  If it is the 20 of May, I’ve played summit day in my head a thousand times.  I know what time to leave to beat the crowds (between 8 and 9pm).  I know how many oxygen bottles to carry (2), I know to go fast, but not too fast so that I make the top by sunrise, but that I save my energy for the descent.  I also know what I’m gonna do on the summit, and also how I plan to make it back to Camp 4, then down to Camp 3, then down to Camp 2.

It’s gonna be the greatest game I’ve been able to play.  I’m not even nervous, I am excited because I am ready.  I know what to do………ever since I was 10 years old I’ve wanted to go up Everest and perform, and do something great.  I’m playing this game to win, not to lose, and I am doing this more for than just myself.  Its for all the people that will never go up there.  It’s for my very best friends back home…..my parents, my brothers and sister, my grandmother, my relatives, and for everyone else who has been following along. It’s for the Little Girl Ryan Marie who passed away too early in life only a few short years ago. For David Pietrack’s Father, and for many others…….It’s for all the people I have been blessed to come into contact through basketball, all the kids I’ve coached in camps and in seasons. For all my sponsors as well…..It’s for anyone I have met who has cared to listen to my journey and follow along now, thanks so much.  It’s true that if you want to have something bad enough you just have to go out and do it.  No Off Days, I will take the N.O.D. flag to the summit, time to go be a Champion and literally stand on top of the world.   IN life sometimes you have to sacrifice a lot, and I’ve been sacrificing things in life for a long time, but the rewards are worth it.  Please send me some good prayers, and vibes and I plan on coming back and telling you all about it. Until then thankyou and I promise to update soon.  It’s Game Time.

Best,  Dr. Jon

13 Comments to Post #27: Summit Time! Prelude to a Championship:

Comments RSS
Ms. Guercio's Fourth Graders - ECCA on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:51 AM
Hi! Happy belated birthday! We have been reading your blog and thinking about you. We like the pictures on the blog. We are sending you good mental thoughts. Good luck on Sunday! Hope you make it! Have a good rest at BC this week.

Deb Brookes on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 2:01 PM
I can feel the focus, determination and readiness through your words. Let Game Day be a success and rest assured the prayers are flowing for you and your fellow climbers. Good luck, be safe and look forward to hearing from you very soon. I can only imagine how your family, friends and fans are watching the calendar each day...thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way. All the best, db

Sarah J. on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:09 PM
Go Jon Go!!! We are all so excited for you and pray for your safe ascent to the top of the world and descent back home! Can't wait to see the photos!

nancy hofman on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:23 PM
sending you all good thoughts and know you will make it look easy if anyone can. Above all, be safe and strong to be above all! Much love from Durango! GO JONK!!

Julie Marion on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:26 PM
Hello Jon, we've never met however I found your website when looking for some news of a friend (Sandra Leduc) who is currently climbing with Summitclimb. Please say Hello on my part :) I'm one of those people who will never climb Everest however am continueously awestruck and invigorated by the stories I hear and read of people doing extreme sporting. The passion and drive one exhibits is simply inspiring. I will be thinking of all climbers on May 19-20 for everyones success and safe return. All the best Jon! Julie Marion

dlac on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:55 PM
Jon, This was great. Fits in perfectly with what we talk about when saying to control what you can control. Of course, you are still at the mercy of the mountain and weather conditions, but your meticulous planning and preparation ensures that's the only thing that will stop you. Yes it's true that if you want something bad enough you have to go for it, but few people are willing to do the work necessary to achieve their dreams. You understand this, that it's not just a few months of preparation, it's years of the N.O.D. lifestyle that have left you so well-prepared. Oh, Jack and I are going to climb a mountain somewhere in Washington next Sunday and pretend like we are summitting Everest with you. He's pumped about it! NOw go out there and put some motion behind your emotion. -dlac

Rebekah Keiser on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:06 PM
I am excited for your summit. I am proud of you and all your hard work and determination. We will be praying all week for your safety and your team's safety. Can't wait to hear about the rest of the adventure. Rebekah (Hawaii)

Greg Tonagel on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:46 AM
Hey Jon Just got caught up with your adventures. Wow! Praying for you man. Can't wait to hear that you have reached the top. Talk to you soon.

Jennifer & Steve Anderson on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:46 AM
Jon! Hi, just got an email from your Mom with this link. Steve and I are so excited to hear/see what you are doing. Your tenacity to this project and your goals in life are inspiration to all. You will be in our thoughts all week and we can't wait to see you at the top! Love, Jen and Steve (remember, we always have a nice sunny place for you in Florida to relax in when you are done!)

Kings I II and III, Shawn, n Springbok on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 11:46 PM
Hey mate - here's to a few extra kangaroo hops as you make your way to the top of the Big One - oh yeah and back down --- No doubt about it - when you get back to town - we'll be sure to have a extra Ironhorse ale or three ..... All the best - we have every confidence that you will have the greatest adventure ever --- Jimmy G says he's following coz he feels guilty about not attending your pres at the SUB - Oh boy - whatawanker

Tami Walton on Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:27 AM
Jon, Thanks so much for sharing this great adventure with all of us! Thoughts and prayers coming to you from "the burg" as you make your way to the top of the world!! Be safe. Tami and Steve

JULIE on Thursday, May 17, 2012 7:21 PM
Jon, There are no word that truly express how much we are touched by you kindness in sharing your climb of a lifetime with Ryan Marie. You spoke in your blog about how important it was for you to achieve the summit for those who may never have the chance. Ryan's MINI Adventure was born out of a dream of allowing Ryan to symbolically experience the world she never had a chance to see. Please know how incredibly gifted and special you are for making this dream come true. All the best and safe travels to you as you reach for the highest summit. Ryan's Mom

Traci Stumo on Friday, May 18, 2012 5:11 AM
Jon, our prayer are with you on this great expedition. All of us here in WI/MN are truely proud of you. Good luck in the next couple days --- Stumo Clan