Climb Your Everest - "No Off Days": Inspire Yourself to be Great with Dr. Jon!
My Blog

Post #31: "Back Into the Death Zone": 2nd Summit Attempt

Had a good conversation with Jon this morning.  He's still battling demons but has recovered physically.  In spite of what has happened, Jon is ready to make a 2nd summit attempt...heading back into the "Death Zone" (above 26,000ft).

Jon said the word around Basecamp is that up to 7 people may have died during the horrific 48-hour weather window on the 19-20th.  Teams are still trying to locate clients and Sherpa.  What happened?  The jet stream all of sudden backed itself over the summit.  A 2-hour wait at one of the chokepoints near the summit left climbers caught in these 80mph winds.  Jon was ascending while other climbers from the previous day who had summited were descending through the chokepoint after 18-hours or more on the mountain. Cut-off times were ignored and oxygen had run out.  Jon tried to save a couple o the climbers, but also managed to assist a few of his teammate to safety.

At this point some Teams are packing-up and heading home.  Jon said the heli-pad is constantly busy with folks flying out.

Jon's plan is to join Jangbu Sherpa for a "speed ascent" to the summit on the 25th-26th.  I took a very close look at the latest weather information and discussed it with Jon and his Team.  The 4 of them are fast, fit and highly motivated.  Their plan is to skip a couple of the higher camps and push directly to the summit quickly to hit the weather window.  I could tell in Jon's voice that he's ready to do this and i'm 100% confident in him.  Please give Jon and his Team your prayers and thoughts.

**Please direct media requests to meteorologist Chris Tomer at KDVR/KWGN-TV. chris.tomer@kdvr.com
-CT

18 Comments to Post #31: "Back Into the Death Zone": 2nd Summit Attempt:

Comments RSS
Deb Brookes on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:00 AM
I sure will give Jon and his Team my prayers and positive thoughts. Thank you for the new info Chris Tomer. I heard you give this same update this morning at your workplace. Good luck on this next summit attempt Jon and Crew !!! db

Andy Vanous on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:28 AM
I am continuing to pray for you Jon. I know you and am confident that you will reach the top of the world. Be safe my friend!

Jessica Q on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:32 AM
Wishing you a successful summit and safe return Jon!!

dlac on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:44 AM
Jon, go for it! Please resist the urge to sleep on the summit though:) dlac

Taradactyl on Sunday, February 09, 2014 8:13 PM
Haha, this is great!

Jeff R on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:04 PM
Best of luck to you Jon! Please come back safely so you can tell this story, as it seems you already have gone above and beyond. Anyone who has touched the void like you have here needs to share the story.

KK on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:40 PM
Jonny! You are quite the craze...which is cool, but please come home safe after your successful summit! Love ya brother. KK

christa pietrack on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:05 PM
My Dear Jon, What is the Base camp address? Need to hurry and send you a batch of My Pietrack Matza ball Soup. That will take care of that hill you have in front of you. Two bowls and your a lock. Everyone knows that Matza ball soup is the Big Guy's soup of choice, and lets get as much of HIS help as possible. All my prayers are for you and your comraedes. love Christa

Mary Beth on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:38 AM
Christa, I'm sure Jon laughed at your comment about Matza Ball soup as much as I did. You probably gave him his biggest laugh of the day. Christopher will second that it's the best soup in the world. Mary Beth Brubeck

Mom on Friday, May 25, 2012 7:26 AM
Thank you for all your support! Jon has a lot of family and friends who have been behind him since day one. As Jon's mother, I appreciate all the other moms out there who have taken care of him growing up, cheered him on while he is there and will be here for him when he returns. Love, Barbara Kedrowski

Lisa on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:16 PM
Jon, It sounds like your "new" climbing group will be your ticket to the top of the world. Please be safe, speedy, and SAFE on your ascent and descent. Just look ahead to next week when you will be sitting down in the village safe and sound reminiscing about your biggest accomplishment of your life. The rest of the world is praying for you all....God Bless You! Lisa

Michelle and Jared on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:55 PM
Thinking of you Jon! Summit and come home safe...Kash is excited to see his uncle!! Michelle, Jared and Kash

Mom on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:11 PM
Jon, Your on my mind every second of the day, nightly while I dream and when I awake from deep sleep. I love you and pray that you come home safe! God Bless, MOM

Dad on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:49 PM
Jon, I know you have been at the 14,000 foot altitude enough times in your hiking days and this Peak is more than twice that elevation. I like your new game plan of not stopping too long at the higher Base Camps so you can keep a steady pace to the Summit. I do not want to sound selfish but I hope enough people have left so you don't get in a traffic jam again. I believe that if the wind stays below 40 mile an hour and not too many people are on the trail you will be fine. It's when you have to stop so much for climbers in the way that really disrupts your momentum. I mean in the critical areas there aren't any passing lanes. Stay Focused, See You soon...Love Dad

MOM on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:53 PM
You're on my mind... My Bad! MOM

Anonymous on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 10:41 PM
Praying for you Jon, as you reach the top of the world. Your determination will carry you! N.O.D. will prevail!- Cinnamon & Phil

Anonymous on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:40 AM
Awesome to see you accomplish so much in your life so far! Focus and be safe! You're an amazing individual.

Joshua Siidmore on Saturday, May 26, 2012 10:18 AM
If there's anything that Jon has its determination and faith... I pray you you old friend and really have enjoyed following your successes since our college days. You can do this Jon!! - Josh from Valpo!!