Talked with Jon this morning at-length. He's packed, primed, and highly motivated for a 2nd attempt at the summit of Mt. Everest. A climb of a lifetime.
The good news: Jon's plan is more well-suited to how we typically climb mountains together: Light & Fast. It's a philosophy we used and perfected during our groundbreaking summer project,
Sleeping on the Summits: Colorado 14er High Bivys
. Jon will be joined by two very fast, strong Sherpas according to team guide Arnold Coster. They will skip two intermediate camps in their ascent - a process rarely ever done. This will limit their exposure.
I briefed Jon on the weather forecast. There's a tiny 24-hour weather window that Jon will hit - he should summit early on May 26th. The winds will back-off briefly but not completely. Winds speeds may still gust to 40mph at times near the summit. It will be touch and go for Jon and his Team. Winds come back strong on the 27th, so if Jon doesn't hit the window then I told him to abort.
Jon expects about 100 climbers attempting to hit this weather window. But, he says Basecamp is pretty much a ghost town with most teams packing-up and heading home. The sound of helicopter rotor-chop is constant.
Jon shot video, photos, and is keeping a very detailed account of what he saw, experienced and what other climbers said. He's been typing for hours on his mini-laptop. Jon's the kind of guy who can think clearly and make the right decision at high altitudes - i've seen it countless times over the years. No doubt Jon was able to snap some incredible photos and video that no one else was able to get.
Keep Jon in your prayers and thoughts! Amat Victoria Curam