Climb Your Everest - "No Off Days": Inspire Yourself to be Great with Dr. Jon!
My Blog

Post #33: Today is Summit Day

A brief update on Jon's progress - Jon's summit window is today.

It's 5pm-ish on Everest and Jon's in his tent at Camp 4, 26,000ft, eating and drinking.  Jon will depart Camp 4 around 9pm and head to the summit as a team of four.  Jon, Arnold Coster team guide, and two Sherpa.  Weather is favorable....summit winds around 30mph.  Numerous climbers summitted yesterday reporting winds under 40mph.  I just checked the weather maps, and he's got 12-24 hours to make it happen.  Of course, he'll still have to get down.  Jon told me they'll dial the oxygen flow up to help.  I'm 100% confident he'll make it if he's feeling good.  I should hear from Jon around 5-6pm Colorado time, and I'll update this blog as soon as I hear from him!
Keep Jon in your thoughts.

-CT

Jon wanted me to post this small entry from the night of May 19 and morning of May 20th....Jon kept a very, very detailed account of what he saw and experienced near the summit that horrific night.
From Jon Kedrowski to Chris Tomer:  "After my Teammate Dave attempted to rescue four climbers near the summit, a Polish Man needed my help near Camp 4..."
Kedrowski says In reference to assisting Teammate David O'Brien:
"I helped Dave try and administer Dex to the climber to help get him going again, but the Needle David was carrying froze immediately.  We each took the climber around the shoulders and started to carry him back to camp.  By 545am, we could see the last icy hill down to Camp 4, and also, Urs from our team and his personal Sherpa Lhakpa came along.  Lhakpa continued to help us with the Polish Guy, and So then I attended to Sandra and Urs.  Sandra was out of Oxygen and fading fast, needing assistance to walk back, and Urs had lost a Crampon, which made his walk back difficult. Ctilly had run on Ahead to help with the rescue of another Sherpa from another team, and to tell Asian Trekking to come help the Polish Man.  And so it was basically Myself, Urs, and Sandra, with David and Lahkpa taking over the Polish Rescue Duties."

David was amazing that day.  David assisted with rescuing 3 other climbers that day and so stay tuned for his article of his story coming out in the UK London Times in the Coming Days.

24 Comments to Post #33: Today is Summit Day:

Comments RSS
Michael Pietrack on Friday, May 25, 2012 6:58 AM
Jon, we are with you. See you at the top! ~The Pietracks

Mom & Dad on Friday, May 25, 2012 7:14 AM
Jon: Love and Miss you! You can accomplish Everest! See you on the 1st. God Bless, MOM and DAD

Mary Beth Brubeck on Friday, May 25, 2012 8:58 AM
Kedrowski's, As a parent I can only imagine what today feels like for your family especially as Jon's parents. What relief you will feel when he returns to Basecamp today to share his victory with you and safety. Will have you all in my thoughts today as well as Jon.

The Brubeck's on Friday, May 25, 2012 8:07 AM
Jon, we will be anxious to hear an update later today and to hear your news. Can't wait to hear about your amazing, incredible journey. Your dedication to your goals is awe inspiring. God bless you. (The Brubeck's)

Andy Vanous on Friday, May 25, 2012 8:30 AM
Good luck and God bless you Jon! You'll be on top of the world in no time. Be safe and have fun! Andy Vanous

Christine on Friday, May 25, 2012 8:32 AM
I just got goosebumps reading this! So excited for you Jon, be safe!

Kristal on Friday, May 25, 2012 9:11 AM
Wow - huge day. Thanks for the update Chris. I'll be praying it goes well. Good luck Jon!!

Tom Ptak on Friday, May 25, 2012 9:33 AM
You've got this Jon. As I am at my desk here in Oregon you are on the mountain, heading up to the top. Sending you all my strength and good climbing karma. Tom Ptak

TJ Stumo on Friday, May 25, 2012 10:51 AM
Best wishes and our prayers are with you on your climb -- we know you can do it. We are so proud of you. Good Luck Jon. -- Stumo clan

Julie Timparo on Friday, May 25, 2012 11:01 AM
Thinking of you on your BIG day! I hope everything goes well for you up there!! Take care of yourself. Be safe!! julie

Jason and Danielle Michaud on Friday, May 25, 2012 1:55 PM
We love you, Jon! Conquer that mountain, brother!

Lisa George on Friday, May 25, 2012 2:09 PM
I'm sitting in my class on the last day of school, counting down the hours all day with my students.....the hours until you summit....2 more hours!!! Rock On! Lisa

Jen on Friday, May 25, 2012 2:49 PM
I'm fairly sure the climbers leaving to summit Everest in a few hours are not sitting in judgement of those of us who are not. It is not for us to judge them. If this is their dream, fellow humans should wish them well. If your dreams are of a different nature, then so be it. Instead of criticizing strangers for pursuing their dreams at great personal risk, you should find your own goals that fall within your own parameters of good judgement and healthy risk. Focusing on driving your own life in a positive direction will improve your mind, body and spirit far more effectively. If there were no Everest, there would be another life-threatening challenge. It is in some humans' natures to pursue these greatest of goals with greatest of risk. If it is not in your nature, it is not for you to judge. Safety and health to all.

Deb Brookes on Friday, May 25, 2012 4:01 PM
WELL SAID !!!!!!!

Deb Brookes on Friday, May 25, 2012 4:10 PM
I believe we're all sitting at the edge of our seats waiting for Chris Tomer's update. Very exciting day indeed ! Goosebumps all over and lots of adrenaline flowing in Colorado and other places for your safe summit and safe return to Basecamp. db

Chris Bechard on Friday, May 25, 2012 3:14 PM
All the best from Estes Park, Colorado! Climb Safe Always! Chris & Heather Bechard

Anonymous on Friday, May 25, 2012 3:26 PM
We've been thinking of you all day! Follow your dreams Jon, and we can't wait to hear about them. Cain's

Sarah O on Friday, May 25, 2012 5:19 PM
Best of luck from Marina del Rey, CA! Sending you great vibes from sea level!! Go get 'em!!

Lisa L. on Friday, May 25, 2012 6:18 PM
Jon - I don't know you, but knowing of and being able to follow your attempt at greatness (successful or not) lifts us all up. Thank you for sharing (and thanks to Chris Tomer for letting us know about it)! Best wishes.

Todd Potestio on Friday, May 25, 2012 7:36 PM
You have inspired us all Jon!! Words cannot explain the pride that everyone is feeling at this moment...Can't wait to hear the great news! The Potestio's

Anonymous on Friday, May 25, 2012 7:36 PM
On pins and needles waiting for the update that you are safe back at camp. Godspeed, my friend.

Jen on Friday, May 25, 2012 7:41 PM
I just read about you on cnn.com. I wish I found your blog sooner. We are thinking of you and wishing you the best of luck!

DJ on Friday, May 25, 2012 8:00 PM
I also just read about your amazing journey on CNN's website. Wish you the very best of luck on Everest. Godspeed.

Kate E Smith on Saturday, May 26, 2012 10:05 AM
Don't know you,but you have brought me a great deal of pleasure by allowing me to read your blogs. It was a very special day for you and no doubt your family and friends.I expect you already have your next adventure lined up in your mind so I will keep an eye open to see what it might be. Meanwhile,many congratulations on your Everest summit achievement and good luck for the future. Kate E Smith (N Yorkshire UK)