Climb Your Everest - "No Off Days": Inspire Yourself to be Great with Dr. Jon!
My Blog

Post #34: SUMMIT! On Top of the World

Received word late that Jon officially reached the summit of Mount Everest!
Jon summited very early with Jangbu Sherpa: 3:30am Nepal-time, 3:45pm Colorado-time.  Summit winds were reported as "Light to dead-calm".  It was indeed a perfect weather window, something that was missing a week prior when the jet stream backed itself directly over the summit.

Congratulations, Jon!  You've worked hard for years to reach this goal.  We've climbed hundreds of mountains together, slept on 58 Colorado Fourteener summits and wrote a book, and talked for hours about what it would be like to stand at over 29,000ft gazing across the horizon admiring the Parallax Effect.  Amat Victoria Curam
Thanks to team guide Arnold Coster, Jangbu Sherpa, and Alan Arnette for the updates.  Thanks to team boss Dan Mazur for bringing me on-board to provide detailed weather forecasts for the expedition.

Jon wanted me to post the follow entry from his personal diary:
"From Jon Kedrowski to Chris Tomer:"
Jon said,
"Now comes the real challenge:  Going Back Up to Summit!  Many people might think it is a death wish.  Well, this is where I get to show that I am still strong enough to climb to the top and also that I get to climb the mountain my way:  FAST and LIGHT.  I always make smart decisions in mountains and this is no different. The plan is to leave Basecamp at 3am on Thurs May 24, and climb to Camp 2 by before 10am.  I will rest in Camp 2 all day, and then Fri May 25 will climb from 6400m to 8000m going from Camp 2 to Camp 4 at theSouth Col.  Hopefully I can do this leg of the climbing from 2am to 2pm.  I will effectively bypass Camp 3.   If I can reach Camp 4 by 2pm, then I will have 5 hours or so to drink, relax, rest, and be ready to try for the Summit by leaving at 8pm on the night of Fri May 25, Hopefully Summitting on the Early Morning of the 26 in light winds. I want to go back up there and see the dead bodies and put some of the pieces back together.  I want to be able to make more sense of the past events by returning to the upper reaches of Everest and going to the top.  I want to do this right. I will be efficient, drink and eat a lot, and hopefully make it back down safe to C2 by the eve of the 26, and down to Basecamp on the 27!"

Key Links:
KDVR/KWGN-TV: Colorado's Dr. Jon Kedrowski reachs summit of Everest:

Order Sleeping on the Summits: Colorado Fourteener High Bivyshttp://www.jonkeverest.org/ORDER-SLEEPING-ON-THE-SUMMITS.html

-JK & CT

39 Comments to Post #34: SUMMIT! On Top of the World:

Comments RSS
Anonymous on Saturday, May 26, 2012 2:54 AM
so so wonderful to wake to this news. Although I only found your story and your blog recently, I have been with you step by step. What an incredible amazing achievement! Well done! (and btw you work at CWU with a friend of mine!) All best on a job more than well done!!!

Tom Hall on Saturday, May 26, 2012 3:11 AM
Congrats on reaching the summit! You've earned it!

Debra Dillon on Saturday, May 26, 2012 4:34 AM
I've been watching your blog through CNN and don't know you, but wanted to say BIG Congrats to you on such a huge task. Make it down safe and be proud, very proud of what you've done.

Troy cunningham on Saturday, May 26, 2012 4:37 AM
Congratulations Jon. You have always been a strong minded driven man and you continue to prove it. Way to represent NOD. I'll see you when your back home

Clare on Saturday, May 26, 2012 5:08 AM
One word - Inspirational!

Donna on Saturday, May 26, 2012 5:09 AM
Congratulations from Colorado!

Lisa George on Saturday, May 26, 2012 5:28 AM
I fell asleep waiting for word last night--nervous--and here it is bright and early Sat. morning! Your parents have to be relieved to know you are down safely. Actually the world will be relieved, everyone's been sitting on the edge of their seats praying and watching your adventure unfold--the good, the bad, and the best. By you keeping a detailed blog/pictures/video, you made it possible for the rest of us to experience Everest. The world can't wait to hear your story! Now you'll have to climb through the throngs of media requests. You've got to be on cloud nine.....CONGRATS, JON!!!!! Lisa

Rich on Saturday, May 26, 2012 6:01 AM
Congrats, John. You handed me your card in late April as I was getting into my car having just skied Dead Dog Couloir on Torrey's. I didn't know Everest would follow sleeping the 14er's! Glad you make it. Wonderful! Rich

Scott Gilden on Saturday, May 26, 2012 6:01 AM
Absolutely fantastic, and not surprising, news!! Congratulations on achieving your long-awaited goal! Scott G.

Tami Walton on Saturday, May 26, 2012 6:10 AM
Congratulations Jon! Can't imagine all the emotions you have experienced over the last week. Thank you so much for including us in your journey..simply amazing! Wishing you safe travels back down and home.

Deb Brookes on Saturday, May 26, 2012 6:24 AM
Congratulations, Jon !!!!! It's an awe-inspiring feat. You are AWESOME !!!!

Nicolas Tréapanier on Saturday, May 26, 2012 6:27 AM
Congratulation M. John. Great news ..You are a lucky guy! Injoy it! Becareful the hard part is staring.

Katie on Saturday, May 26, 2012 6:30 AM
Never doubted you would make it! So happy for you Jon! Looking forward to seeing you when you get back.

Anonymous on Saturday, May 26, 2012 6:36 AM
TOTALLY RAD!!! Never a doubt in my mind you'd make it! Congrats! 'Danish'

dennis sinar on Saturday, May 26, 2012 7:02 AM
congratulations on your accomplishment! I hope you will be able to devote some effort to cleaning everest Be safe on the descent Dennis

Sarah Brubeck on Saturday, May 26, 2012 7:24 AM
I knew if anyone could do it, you could! It's an amazing accomplishment! Can't wait to hear about it when you return! Continue to take care of yourself and be safe on your return. I'm sure you can't wait for some big meals from your mom back here!

Debra D'Acquisto on Saturday, May 26, 2012 7:31 AM
Congratulations! for a remarkable climb coupled with extraordinary challenges! D'A from the burg

Mary Beth Brubeck on Saturday, May 26, 2012 7:37 AM
Incredible! You've accomplished your dream. Never have I known a more dedicated human being towards goals. I was awake at 3:00 A.M. Colorado time, checked the computer. Nothing at the time. Got worried. Checked first thing this morning with the best news. A warm bed and shower and your Mom's food must sound awfully good. Congratulations to you and your family. Can't wait to see photos and hear all about it when you get home. (Brubeck's)

Julie on Saturday, May 26, 2012 8:05 AM
Congratulations Jon. You have shown tremendous strength both physically and mentally during your summit attempts... You journey has been so inspirational. We are so incredibly happy for you and thank you for allowing us to follow you on your amazing journey. We wish you continued good health and safe travels as you make your way back home. Your family and friends must be so very proud of you. Ryan Marie's Family

david pietrack on Saturday, May 26, 2012 8:11 AM
Best news Jon. Like Frank Sinatra, you did it your way, FAST AND LIGHT. Some advise, now comes the real danger, THE NEWS REPORTERS, wolfs in sheep's cloths. Be wise, choose your words with care. AS you know, I still have one of the original long sleeve N.O.D. sweat shirts from Bob and your High School days. How cool is that? Thank you very much for the personal favor you did for our family at the summit. We will always be grateful. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Love David & christa

Jen on Saturday, May 26, 2012 9:03 AM
congratulations from Westford, Massachusetts!!!

The Aussie on Saturday, May 26, 2012 9:04 AM
Hey Mate ------ Heeee Haaawwwwww!!! --- Cowabunga Dude ---------- Looking forward to catching up in person and hearing some of the experiences first hand - over a cold "ironhorse" of course ......... Can only imagine the spectrum of experiences will make for several lifetimes of memories ........ Good on ya mate!!!!! - Wallaby

Andy Vanous on Saturday, May 26, 2012 9:11 AM
Congratulations! I never had a doubt that you would make it. I'm sure that it was an amazing feeling that you will remember for the rest of your life. Safe travels back home. Andy Vanous

Katelyn & Shirl on Saturday, May 26, 2012 9:16 AM
AWESOME JOB Jon!!! Be safe coming home-- Hugs Cousin Katelyn & the 3rd Grade Class at St Catherine's

JenBro on Saturday, May 26, 2012 9:25 AM
Congratulations - bless you for helping others - come home safe

Shannon on Saturday, May 26, 2012 9:42 AM
Congratulations Jon! You are living my dream! I have followed your track and so glad to made it to the top and back safely! You truly are an inspiration and only hope I can one day follow in your footsteps to Everest! The Rocky Mountains will look like little foothills to you now! All the best!

Anonymous on Saturday, May 26, 2012 10:50 AM
Jon- Congrats! You are a true inspiration,NOD! We have followed closely and are so proud you reached the top and made your dream a reality. Cinnamon & Phil

christa pietrack on Saturday, May 26, 2012 11:04 AM
Mazel Jon. Thank you for sharing your incredible journey with us. Thru your strength and determination you have reenfored my faith in living life to the fullest, N.O.D. Love, Christa

Eddie Wilson on Saturday, May 26, 2012 1:01 PM
Been following every day and reading every word. THANK YOU for providing this blog for us to follow you! Congrats on this amazing feat. Looking forward to my wife and I trekking to EBC in a few years! Eddie Wilson Mt. Juliet, TN

Matt from Yakima on Saturday, May 26, 2012 1:50 PM
Congrats Jon & Team! Love the fast and light. Can't wait to hear the details. Godspeed. Yakima Fan

Rebekah Keiser on Saturday, May 26, 2012 2:11 PM
Wonderful news Jon! Congrats on your big accomplishment. I hope experiencing Everest made you contemplate its Creator even more. Rebekah, HI

Bob Hickey on Saturday, May 26, 2012 2:16 PM
Congrats Jon!

Anonymous on Saturday, May 26, 2012 3:01 PM
You are the man, Jon! Love ya, brother! Jason and Danielle Michaud

Chuck, Kathy, Krista & Sonja on Saturday, May 26, 2012 4:51 PM
Congrats from the Ashford crowd. Just think you climbed twice the elevation of Rainier. When you put it in those terms the feat is unbelievable. Krista will be in Nepal on a Fulbright next year. Shall we continue the Schaefer/Kedrowski annual climb this year in Nepal? Chuck, Kathy, Krista & Sonja

Dr. Philip Suckling on Saturday, May 26, 2012 5:05 PM
The Department of Geography at Texas State University-San Marcos is very proud of our 2010 PhD alumnus, Dr. Jon Kedrowski! Dr. Phil Suckling, Professor and Chair

Hofmans on Saturday, May 26, 2012 8:32 PM
So proud of You, never doubted that you'd make it. See you in Durango. Awesome!

Susan R on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:41 PM
Heartiest congratulations from a fellow Coloradan.

CJ on Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:35 AM
"slept on 58 Colorado Fourteener summits" This is even more of an incredible achievement than summiting Everest... since there are only 53 14ers in Colorado.

Taradactyl on Sunday, February 09, 2014 8:26 PM
Depends if you count the unofficial 14,000 points or not :) There's upwards of 60 including sub points.