Climb Your Everest - "No Off Days": Inspire Yourself to be Great with Dr. Jon!
My Blog

Post #35: Back in Basecamp: Shower & Shave

Talked with Jon this morning - he's back safe in Basecamp (17,100ft).
"I need a shower and a shave", he joked, "And, i'm skinnier than you've ever seen me....even skinnier than after our sleeping on the summits project last summer."  That's saying a lot, because I remember that!  I have a feeling Jon's mom will change all that with some great home-cooked food.

I congratulated Jon on essentially climbing Everest twice - with two very different outcomes.  Jon said his trip back up through the Balcony and Hillary Step "brought back a flood of memories".  Jon has kept a very detailed account of what he saw and experienced on his mini-laptop, which he carries with him.  Jon also has video and photos of his two trips up Everest.  Jon also conducted grant-funded air and water quality tests on Everest, so "I have to analyze all this data, it's research never done before on Everest so high up", Jon said.

I asked Jon about his successful summit early on the 26th.  "My bag was packed and I was ready.  Coster sent me up with Jangbu Sherpa at 8pm.  Jangbu had to keep telling me to 'slow down Jon', but I just wanted to get this done."  Jon said, "I looked back and could see a stream of headlamps heading up the ridge, but I was ahead of them and moving way too fast to worry."  "We had the summit to ourselves for 15 minutes, just Jangbu and me", Jon said, "The wind was dead-calm, your forecast was right on the money."

Jon plans on "telling his story" after he gets down from Basecamp and back to the US.  It's compelling stuff.  We poured our hearts and souls into our current book, Sleeping on the Summits: Colorado Fourteener High Bivys.  Jon said, "That project was the absolute best training I could've done for Everest, period."  We're both extremely excited about the book.  It's never been done before.  A mix of mountain meteorology, mountain geography & geology, Teamwork, Risk, and high resolution photography.  http://www.jonkeverest.org/ORDER-SLEEPING-ON-THE-SUMMITS.html

-JK & CT

12 Comments to Post #35: Back in Basecamp: Shower & Shave:

Comments RSS
Deb Brookes on Sunday, May 27, 2012 5:23 AM
I cannot tell you how much I have enjoyed following your Blog.Thank you for making it such an inspirational work of art and to Chris Tomer for keeping us up to date also. Am sincerely going to miss following it each day as so many of us have ... these past weeks. Have a safe trip home !!! db
Reply to comment

Lisa George on Sunday, May 27, 2012 5:50 AM
So glad you are down to the safety of Basecamp. Has it sunk in yet exactly what you've done??!! I've thoroughly enjoyed following your blog (only one I've ever followed), and I can't wait to hear your whole story. I will see you and Tomer on the 15the for the Bivy Book talk and signing. Oh, what's your address so I can send some homebaked goodies!! WAY TO GO, JON! Lisa
Reply to comment

TTS on Sunday, May 27, 2012 8:49 AM
Thank you so much for a great blog of your Everest adventure. I really enjoyed it. I am an avid reader of all climbing books and yet still learned a lot from your posts. I love climbing mountains and hiking, but for the past 2 weeks I have been in bed recovering from breast cancer surgery and a post-surgical infection. Your blog truly helped me feel better. I will look for your books. Thanks for some inspiration. TTS
Reply to comment

Barbara Kedrowski on Monday, May 28, 2012 4:55 PM
Hello TTS, My name is Barbara Kedrowski and I would like to thank you for your comments on my son Jon's Blog. I pray that you recover from your cancer and are feeling better in the coming days and months. I also appreciate you writing to Jon at a time in your life where I feel you are the inspiration to all of us and what you are up against. But I am glad that Jon's motivation and determination was helping you through some of the worst days of your treatment. God Bless You!!! Barbara K

Mom & Dad on Monday, May 28, 2012 5:10 PM
Jon: Congratulations on your accomplishment! We were so happy to hear you made it to the top and you were on your way down. Waited patiently for that phone call from 3:30PM Friday, Mountain Time, until that call on Saturday night 11:30PM. Thanks so much for keeping in touch with us from the time we dropped you off at the airport on April 4th and throughout your journey. Looking forward to see that big smile and even a bigger hug when we pick you up from DIA on Friday night. We thank God for his guiding hands. Love, Mom and Dad
Reply to comment

Samar Noureddine on Monday, May 28, 2012 7:16 PM
We read your blog from Everest every night. Can't tell you happy we are that you summited safe and sound. Looking forward to meet you when you come to California. Best Regards, Samar, Sal, Camelia, Sophie and Naya
Reply to comment

Jodi O'Hara on Monday, May 28, 2012 9:17 PM
Big congratulations!! The ultimate summit high!
Reply to comment

david pietrack on Monday, May 28, 2012 9:35 PM
[IT is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion ,and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the least knows in the end the triumph of high achievement,and who, at the worst , if he fails, at least fails while doing greatly ,so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.] Jon,I was doing some reading, and now, near the end of your adventure I thought you might enjoy this quote. It has always been one of my favorites. See you soon, David Pietrack
Reply to comment

Kevin Blake on Monday, May 28, 2012 10:51 PM
Jon, You've just given mountain geographers everywhere someone to take great pride in for combining your passion for mountain knowledge with your exceptional climbing abilities. And you're in great company with one of the true stars of geography, Barry Bishop, as one of the few geographers who has climbed Everest. I'm happy for you, and I look forward to continue learning about the geography of mountains through your work for years to come. Kevin Blake
Reply to comment

Allen Campbell on Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:53 AM
Congratulations Jon on your accomplishment, I am envious and way too old. Looking forward to your presentation and pictures. Allen Campbell
Reply to comment

Nick Webster on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:21 AM
Wonderful job and congratulations on the great accomplishment. Following your blog thorugh the month of May was very enjoyable and waking up every morning on the days leading up to your summit bid was very exciting. Looking forward to hearing/reading a detailed account when you find the time. All the best!!
Reply to comment

Kevin Lamontagne on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:21 PM
I've been so glued to this, that I'm still waiting for post #36. Congratulations on a successful climb. Looking forward to the follow up posts.
Reply to comment